This blog is now permanently located and updated regularly here - BeingTazim.com

Please visit my new blog URL!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wednesdays are for Farmers Markets

It's Wednesday, that time of the week when I walk to the farmers market to load up on fruit and vegetables! This usually takes about 2 hours and is completely exhausting! The one I go to is the closest one, and I can walk to it, but it is always busy with people, their bikes and their dogs.

I love buying organic produce, which is easy to find in this city, but have noticed an increase in prices over the years at the market. It used to be that you could get an amazing deal on produce there, but after that 100 Mile Diet book and eating organic being in the news so often, I'm sure that the price of produce has gone up.

What do I usually pick up?
-garlic
-tomatoes
-red peppers
(lots of the above 3)
-eggplant
-lettuce
-sometimes corn (last few weeks), potatoes, broccoli/broccolini, cherries, strawberries (up until a month ago), basil, fennel . . .

What about you? Where do you get your produce and do you try to eat in season? 

There are usually lilies and peonys at my farmers market. . .
these roses look amazing, though!